Half Light

The taxi's waiting
and it's getting light,
the half light
of day break.
And I'm ready
for the journey
into the brightness,
optimistic that
the daylight is coming.
Optimistic
that the taxi will take me
to a place where everyone
is in their place.
It’s a picnic.
A cloth spread out under a tree.
That's where we're going.
That's where we'll be.
A picnic in the sunshine
with sunny, smiling people.
But I have to stay awake
or I may not
get there.
Have to keep
my eyes open
to let in the light.
Stay awake
to open the door.
Get into the taxi
while it's still light
and hold the door open
for the rest to follow.
in the half light...
Is that the light leaving us.
Maybe it's the night
closing in on us,
the half light of evening.
Not the dawn,
but the dusk
enclosing me.
I am afraid.
I am afraid that
the taxi will leave
me behind
to a dark awakening
from the half light.
And when I wake
will it be light?
Bright
like the dream of a day,
or dark,
a dark nightmare.
Not a picnic.




SIRENSCALLPUBLICATIONS.WORDPRESS.COM
Sirens Call Publications is pleased to announce the release of the Summer 2020 edition of The Sirens Call The 50th issue of The Sirens Call eZine comes in at a whopping 256 pages and features 143 p…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog