The Godfather


It was quite a change,

my move from Psychiatry

to Social Services.

But I settled in

and soon 

the past became a memory,

as it always does.


But there was a familiar name

on the new referral.

I remembered him well,

at least his name and face,

not why he’d been my patient -

depressed maybe

at his increasing physical disability.

I couldn’t remember

but I’d liked him.


I rang him.

He remembered me as well.

He lived in the North End,

in one of the tenement flats -

1930s built Art Deco style.

They had quite a reputation -

police went in twos with a dog, 

Social Workers in twos with an escort. 

And, of course only the insane

would park a car there.


It was a shame

they were authentic,

could have been

beautiful.


“Park outside the main door,” he said,

“no need to walk with all your stuff.

You’ll be fine, I’ll see to it”.

And I was.


When I left, he told me to ring him

before I went there again.

he said we could have a cuppa

and he gave me a wink,

then another

to make sure I’d understood.

And I did.


He was the real deal,

as authentic as the buildings!

And so I always rang him first

and me and my car were always fine,

though I never got a cuppa!


The buildings a long gone

now.

It’s a shame

they were authentic,

could have been beautiful.



https://thegorkogazette.com/2026/09/22/daylight-robbery-and-the-godfather-by-lynn-white/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog