Relax Let’s Do It


It wasn’t to be such a long walk. 

I thought my town trilby

would do as a sun hat

to shield me from the heat

and my new boots would cope 

with the untrodden rough ground.


Maybe

we’d go along the river 

where children were splashing,

then across the field full of daisies

and over the stile on to the fells.

I could see some tiny figures

of well practiced walkers

already up there.


It looked a long way now.

Maybe

we should have set out earlier.

Maybe

I should have worn my boots in

for a little longer,

they already felt

like they were

rubbing holes

in my feet.

And I was already overheating

in spite of my hat.


Maybe

I should abandon my plan

for today

and sit in that patch of shade

and show those children how

to make daisy chains.

Yes,

that’s a good idea,

relax,

let’s do it!


https://poetsonline.org/archive/arch_parks.html


Comments

Popular posts from this blog