Ode To The End Of the Earth


I saw him often

walking

up and down 

the by-ways,

up and down

the main street 

of Anytown,

his placard declaring

that the end of the world was nigh.


As a child, I pondered his meaning.

As an adult, I thought I understood

for a while.

Now I’ve become unsure.

Maybe it will end for humans,

as it did for the dinosaurs,

exit for the most dominant

and the rest left behind,

or maybe everything else

will go with us.


But perhaps it was the same 

with the dinosaurs

everything going

but without our knowing

then

time to begin again

perhaps.

If only we knew

when the game was over.

If only we knew

if the game is over.


And when the end does come,

will we go up

or down,

to heaven or hell.

And will heaven be completely heavenly

and hell irredeemably hellish?

So many questions

without answers.


But I think there is a joker in the pack.




https://www.mockingowlroost.com/blog/end-of-the-world-poetry/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog