Nothing Changes


               A sequel to ‘The Adventures Of Anwen’, yet to be written



Her answer to my “how are you?”

would never be the list of aches and pains

I might hear from many.

Nor would it be the trite “fine”

I would hear from many more.

No, It was always “just the same”.


“How’s things”

would bring a similar response

with “nothing changes here” in addition.

She tells me there is no one she can converse with,

no one who’s interested in what’s going on in the world,

that anything she says is met by looks of stoney incomprehension

and no one laughs at her jokes.


“A new one came last week”, she says,

“much younger, so I had hopes.

Then she got out her Bible

and I was back to no hope

again.”


She narrates the detail of her recent encounters

with the assorted meat eaters, 

xenophobic imperialists, 

and Born Again Christians

who share the care home with her.

“You should write a book”, I say.

Yes, I keep meaning to,”

is her inevitable reply.


Of course, she hasn’t always lived there,

but that’s another story!



https://spillwords.com/nothing-changes/?fbclid=IwAR2wLPtTs-Kvn2a-OLiF9cr033ExY7XjlpIKU2ibZ2bEYyPjVa9soi7gR7k





Comments

Popular posts from this blog