Two Frogs

I loved the pond near my auntie’s.
Just a short walk from the village.
I could get right up close
and peer into the water.
That was how I saw the frogs.
They were not easy to catch but
I managed it eventually, one at a time.
I kissed each carefully
to make sure they were real frogs,
didn’t want one of those prince things.
Then I put them in my shoe and placed
my other shoe on top
so that they couldn’t jump out.
I walked back barefoot
over the rough ground
and the village street.
I discovered that my mother and auntie
were afraid of frogs.
Perhaps they would have preferred princes.
They didn’t like the barefoot walk either.
My dirty feet would show them up,
they said.
My uncle said they were good for the garden
and I would not be allowed to take them on the bus
when I went home.
So I watched them leapfrog through his garden.
I hoped they’d be happy there.
He told me they were,
but I never saw them again.

https://pondersavant.com/…/two-frogs-other-poems-by-lynn-w…/

https://pondersavant.com/2020/08/09/two-frogs-other-poems-by-lynn-white/?fbclid=IwAR3G3pIqP8OTDMxgyzBCl9P3AgrGADR57yLmpOgkDKvbQhWuQfY4reOKnG0




Comments

Popular posts from this blog