Walled Up They usually left something behind, the builders who finished the job, something hidden in the walls something that had been part of their life a mark made a bottle from a lunchtime brew a crusty remnant of a meal consumed or something more poignant that would protect the house that would protect their work bring luck to those following. Old shoes were popular especially children’s because the spirits of children were stronger though any shoe would do at a pinch. But this builder needed his, he had none to spare now his work was done. So he left behind his glove the one that he’d worn to protect his hand from the rough. A hand shoe, as good as a foot shoe he must have thought. He knew that tools were popular leavings but he had none to spare now his work was done his tools were for sale. So he left behind screws two screws two new screws. He thought it an appropriate leaving for one who had been well and truly screwed. He hoped that those who came after would und...
Popular posts from this blog
Photo Opportunity I watched the man crossing the path underneath the cascade of the waterfall. It had been part of the route wine was carried from the high lands, to be sold on the coast. Back in the old days, that was. But the old days weren’t very long ago. He seemed confident as he placed a foot carefully in each of the footholds hacked into the precipitous rock face. He gripped the thick metal hawser attached to the rock with strong metal rings. Gripped it firmly and proceeded slowly one step at a time. I had a camera and I thought that it was a picture he would like to have when he was dry and safe back on terra firma. Then I thought, suppose he falls, falls into the waves, to be smashed against the rocks far below. I didn’t want to have such a picture, a picture of someone’s last moments and I thought, to take it may jinx his journey and even cause him to fall. So I never took the picture. But it made no difference. The man fell anyway. https://coldrambler.blogspot.com/2024...
They Thought It Time They thought it time to build a cathedral with gothic towers reaching into the clouds. It seemed time but as it rose the dry ground crumbled and cracked around it leaving only a few distorted stones behind. It had seemed like time but it was too late, much too late the cracks were already open the foundations had fractured and there was no one to watch as it floated away with the clouds. https://www.lulu.com/shop/som/qutub-minar-review-april-2023-issue/paperback/product-vvdkgw.html?page=1&pageSize=4


Comments
Post a Comment