Nothing Is Quite Right
I thought I would go to the beach today
but when I got there nothing was quite right.
It was too cold for bikinis 
in spite of being August
with bright summer light
it was buttoned up winter there.
So I thought a coffee would be good,
or maybe warming hot chocolate,
but the cafe was topsy turvy,
had tipped over
on to it’s side
and I couldn’t find a way to get in,
a way to sit down and place my order.
So I walked down the streets
and wondered how long
it would be before they became topsy turvy too.
Or perhaps they’ll stay the right way up,
I couldn’t say.
I tried to cross the bridge to reach the pink castle,
but it had become the wrong shape
too steep
to walk over
and I was disconcerted by the paper shapes
that were replacing the buildings.
They looked pretty,
I liked them,
but they still weren’t quite right.
Even later, when I woke up
it still looked all wrong
and nothing was ever
quite right
again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog