I Am A Child

I am a child of the revolution
created by the wake of
fascism and imperialism,
that sought to construct 
a more just society.

I am a child numbed by poverty, 
stultified by working class conformity,
of a mother who wanted better for me,
but also wanted to keep me the same.

I am a child of these contradictions
who became a rebel 
in the cultural revolution
of the rock and roll generation.
Who was liberated by student life,
by control of fertility,
by other places, 
by the music and art 
all parents hated.

I am still that child.
This is what made me.
This is what shaped me and
became part of my present, 
became part of my future.

Sometimes I have tried to escape it.
Sometimes I still do.





First published by Ealain, My Heritage, Issue 8, May 2015

Comments

Popular posts from this blog