Little Sister Lost

 

I woke in the sunshine

and salvaged my book

from the damp grass.

I stretched..

I looked around..

She wasn’t there.

I looked behind the stone,

then under it.

A pretty blue mouse

scurried

from under,

but no little sister.

Then I thought 

of the rabbit hole under the tree

where the scraggy, stripy cat

had spat and snarled at us 

earlier.

 

I found the tree

and the rabbit hole.

Was she down there?

It was too small for me to go.

I shouted down

and scraped

and scraped

and scraped

to make it bigger.

A rabbit would do better

with it’s big feet.

A rabbit,

like the one standing behind me

with such big strong feet.

Help me.

Help me.

 

 

He sniffed disdainfully

and removed one hand 

from the pocket of his purple fur jacket

to brush the soil I’d splatted

on his white velvet breeches.

Such big strong feet

for digging.

Help me.

Help me.

Help me.

He gave me his spade.

 

I started to dig

and dig

and dig.

Dig till it was big

enough for me to go

Scrabbling down.

Falling

scrabbling

falling.

Scrabbling,

scrabbling,

scrabbling,

looking for the light

and my little sister.


https://lothlorienpoetryjournal.blogspot.com/2022/08/three-poems-by-lynn-white.html

https://www.lulu.com/shop/strider-marcus-jones/lothlorien-poetry-journal-volume-15/paperback/product-4p99nv.html?q=LOTHLORIEN+POETRY+JOURNAL&page=1&pageSize=4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog