Puzzled

I’m puzzled.
You can see it in my face, can’t you?
When I was a child, black cats were lucky,
especially if they could be persuaded to
cross your path.
Now they’re unlucky.
No one wants them.
You can see why I’m puzzled, can’t you
as I ponder what happened to bring about
this change.
Did they, ever catlike, decide not to co-operate
with the path crossing business
and turn tail to scarper
in the opposite direction?
Or maybe stand their ground
and snarl
and spit
and bare their teeth
like demons.
Perhaps that was it.
Then there’s the raven.
Can it really call ‘nevermore’.
I have heard many a raven call,
but never a
nevermore.
So again, I’m puzzled.
You can see it in my face, can’t you?

http://www.withpaintedwords.com/view_submission.php?news_id=1117

Comments

Popular posts from this blog